About Our School
St Andrews Primary School is close to the town center and serves a large area of older style private and council housing, a more recent area of new private housing in the south-west side of the town being added to the school zone in 1997.
The school consists of three buildings – the Infant Department at one side of Albert Street, the Nursery Department on the opposite side of Albert Street (within the grounds of the main building) and the Upper Primary Department on Charlotte Street. The main building on Charlotte Street was built in 1882 and the Infant Building in 1901 (known as the Central School and the Infant School prior to the amalgamation in August 1997).
The buildings have seen many changes over the years and are well equipped to cope with the modern curriculum. The Infant building has its classrooms, library, staff room and resources room built around a large central hall. The main building has classrooms on two floors and also houses a GP room, library, resources room and PE hall with a horsa hut being used for art, technology and packed lunches. The adjacent nursery building has two classrooms and is situated alongside the school canteen.
In July 2014 the pupils and staff of St Andrews School received the Recognition of Commitment for the Rights Respecting Schools Reward which recognises the positive start we have made on the Journey to becoming a Rights Respecting School.